The Humane Society of South Central Michigan is the area’s nonprofit advocate, sanctuary and source for companion animals since 1887.
- to enhance the lives of companion animals and people through education, adoption and community outreach
- help protect companion animals from suffering and cruelty
- provide safe and responsible care for unwanted or abused companion animals
We believe in second chances at the Humane Society of South Central Michigan. Our service area includes all of Calhoun County and parts of Kalamazoo, Barry and Branch counties. We keep animals as long as it takes to find a good home for adoption once the animal passes temperament testing and is checked for good health. The Watkins Road shelter cares for up to 100 animals every day of the year. Countless area residents use the Society’s animal care, adoption and education programs each year.
The Humane Society is overseen by a Board of Directors. We do not receive any government or tax dollars, or national humane organization funding. Our services are made possible by people in our community who care about homeless cats and dogs – people like you!
The Humane Society of South Central Michigan values:
- The ethical and humane treatment of animals
- Its role as a shelter for animals that suffer from pain, fear and neglect
- Community accountability for the welfare of its animals
- Responsible stewardship of our resources
- Community involvement to achieve our goals
- Education about responsible pet ownership
- The joy of sharing a life with animal companions
HSSCM Board of Directors
Amber Straub, Chair
Chris Brennan, Vice Chair
Anne Barea, Treasurer
Julia Swafford, Secretary
Lifetime Member Curtis Whitaker
Board meetings take place the fourth Tuesday of each month. With the exception of the Annual Meeting, all board meetings are closed. Contact with the board can be made in writing, addressed to the Board of Directors, and sent to the Humane Society at 2500 Watkins Road, Battle Creek, MI.