HSSCM has a free dog park, open to the public! Located at the shelter, 2500 Watkins Road in Battle Creek Michigan, our park features a large fenced-in area for dogs to run and play off-leash, a bone-shaped pool for summer fun, and walking trails to enjoy with your canine friends on-leash. All you need to do is submit an annual application. (Note: for your dog’s safety, all dogs must be up to date on their vaccinations – we require a copy of vaccines submitted with your membership agreement ).
Want to schedule meet-ups or learn about activities at the park? Check out the facebook page here.
Please visit the shelter during open business hours to fill out an application (bring records of current vaccinations with you) or fill out the online form below (note: you MUST attach vaccination records via form as a pdf or jpg image).
Fenced in area (off-leash play)
Sundays and Mondays: open dawn to dusk
Tuesday – Friday: open dawn to 12:00pm, and 5:00pm to dusk, closed 12:00pm – 5:00pm
Saturdays: open dawn to 11:00am, and 3:00pm to dusk, closed 11:00am – 3:00pm
Trail System (dogs must be on-leash)
Open daily, dawn to dusk
Dog Park Rules for Public Use
- Dogs must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or older at all times (exception is HSSCM youth volunteers). Limit of three dogs per adult.
- Dogs must be leashed except within the fenced-in area. Owners should remain within the fenced area at all times with their leash.
- Always clean up after your dog. Bags and a trash can are provided. If holes are dug, please fill them in.
- Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries they may cause.
- Dogs must have current license and be up to date on vaccinations. No dogs under four months of age are allowed in the park (dogs under four months are not yet protected by all necessary vaccinations).
- Dogs in heat are prohibited. Spayed or neutered animals are highly recommended.
- If you bring children to the dog park, please supervise them closely.
- Always keep an eye on your dog. Mischief can happen quickly! If your dog becomes unruly or plays rough, please leash and remove your dog immediately. Cooperation between dog owners is essential.
- No smoking or “people” food allowed.
- The Humane Society of South Central Michigan reserves the right to ban any animal or person for the safety of those using the park.
- Volunteers walk our dogs Tuesday – Friday from noon – 5 PM and on Saturday from 11 AM – 4 PM. During this time, your dogs cannot be in the park as the volunteers need to have access to the fenced-in area. You can walk your dogs on the trails until the fenced-in area is open again.
Remember, everyone’s dog is as precious to them as your dog is to you. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE.
‘Like’ the Curtis Whitaker Bark Park on Facebook and share your photos!
Note: during HSSCM volunteer hours, the fenced-in play area will be unavailable for members of the public. However, you are still welcome to walk your dog on-leash on the trails!
Shelter Volunteer Hours:
Tuesday – Friday, noon to 5:00pm
Saturdays, 11am to 3:00pm